We were all in the car, my mother, my father and I. Both parents sitting in the front and me alone in the back. A silence settled in and I shifted uncomfortably. I was bored. There was nothing to do except watch the trees go by. My voice broke the silence. "Mom, can you turn on the radio?" "No."she replied icely. Well, if one parent says no, go to the other parent! "Dad, can you turn on the radio?" My father turned to look at my mother, and then back on the road saying nothing. I sweatdropped. Ye-e-e-s, in my family, my mother was the king of the Changs. Nothing would be done without her permission. I tried my mother again. "Please, can you turn on the radio, mom?" She turned around and said "Daphne, in five minutes we'll be home. Why don't you sing a song, and I guarantee that by the time you finish it, we'll be home already." Sighing, I turned away from her and looked out the window. Darkness was coming and already everything had turned a dark blue color. My dad decided to break the silence and started to sing. Of course, his singing wasn't an actual song.. just a tune he made up going along the way. He started to sing about the most random things you could think of. "When I was sixteen...." and "Daphne is my daughter.. la la la la..." and he would sometimes hit particularly high notes out of tune on purpose just to see my mother sigh very loudly and close her eyes. I beagan to regret saying anything at all. The car ride home was no longer a silent one.

Popular posts from this blog