I was in the kitchen, my mother washing dishes, and my father emailing a very important person on his laptop. I was sitting, on the chair, drinking orange juice. A very nice, family atmostphere settled in, and we all enjoyed the peace and quiet. Drinking my sweet orange juice, I allowed my eyes to roam about until something sleek and black caught my eye. Catching the movement, I immediately glance down onto the floor to see what it was. Appalled to see it moving, I came upon the realization that this black object was indeed alive, and a scream escaped from within me. It was actually quite funny to see my mother wince horribly at my high pitch and my father suddenly jerk up from his intense email. Both swerved their heads toward me with priceless faces each wondering what the the scream was all about. With a shaking hand, I pointed at the 2 cm. bug (which is actually a lot bigger than most bugs you see nowadays). I saw their faces change from concern to disinterest in less than half a second. Shocked to see them so uncaring about my safety, I pushed myself against the chair, backing a couple feet away from the continually moving bug. "Aren't you going to squish it?" I pleaded with them to squish it for me. Annoyed with my bug-phobia, my mother had snatched a tissue from the tissue box and handed it to me. Fearfully I took it, knowing what would happen next. "Squish it." my mother demanded that I did it myself. Now this bug, was no ordinary bug. It was those long skinny ones... the ones you sometimes find in your closets.. in dark corners.. it has a sorta kinda shell on its back and possesses antennes. If you happened to squish it, not only would you hear the crunch, you would feel the crunch, through the sheerness of a certain tissue paper. I sort of sat down onto the floor and gazed up my mother, quite shocked that she did not care how traumatized I would become when this whole "bug ordeal" ended. A couple of seconds passed before I left the kitchen. "Come back here!" My mother cried as she ranted on about me having to do things myself. I returned shortly after with a shoe in my hand. Seeing me with that, my mother rolled her eyes sat down to observe how the death of the bug would be done. Placing the napkin on top of the moving bug, I raised my shoe slightly and squashed as hard as I could. I peeked underneath the napkin to see if it was indeed, dead. But no.. as I lifted the napkin fully off of the bug, It continued to move forward, as if nothing had happened. Hearing a sigh emit from my mother, I was even more determined to kill this bug. I had to prove to her that I was capable of destroying this pest! The same procedure was repeated followed up by a moderate sounding 'whop!'. Once more peeking under the napkin, I was horrified to find it still alive. Covering it with the napkin again, I raised my shoe high into the air, and brought it down with a swoosh. A loud resounding smack was heard throughout the kitchen and I saw my dad visibly jump from his chair through the corner of my eye. That smack killed the bug. I had proven myself.

Popular posts from this blog