"12 o'clock. Midnight. In bed. The both of you." My mother always did make a forceful argument. She was staring up at both her daughters (we are taller than her XD) with a face that was stern and unmoving, as if chiseled in ice. We were taught to fear that face. "Sure, okay!" The both of us went back to our places, doing our own business, as our mother closed the door to her room at 11:30 p.m. The clock struck midnight, and my mother poked her head out of her room with just her head in view. "What are you two doing up?" Her voice was deadly quiet, her daughters frozen, rigid in their seats. "We're going to bed!" We cried as both the Chang sisters shot up from their seats to race to the bathroom and brush their teeth. The door to the master bedroom closed. I looked at Michelle, and Michelle looked at me. We each went back to our stations, and turned out the lights. (If there are lights, mother can tell that we are still up. No lights, means we're both in bed.) Both of us in front of computers, lights off.

The clock read 1:45 a.m. and I was ready to turn in. Yawning, I let my computer drift into idle mode as I quietly got up from my chair hoping it wouldn't squeak. Quietly shuffling down the hall, I passed my sister's room with Sweet Home Alabama playing. 'hmm..' I thought to myself,'I haven't seen that movie in a while, and if I remember correctly, that movie wasn't too bad.' So I poke my head into her room and whispered loudly,"I'll be right back!" and tiptoed to my room. Because I sleep with my door closed, I had shut the door to my room faking my innocent slumber pattern. My room was right across the master bedroom, so I was in more danger than ever before. With the knowledge of my mother's light sleeping, (not so different from a rabbit- they hear everything. -_-) I slowly reached for the doorknob. I lightly turned it and opened up the door gradually. My first mistake.

The loudest squeak in the world was heard as I instantly froze in my actions. Jerking my head in the direction of my mom's room, I listened intently for any sign of noise. There was none. My attention was riveted on the door once more. Now, opening a door leading to a room in my house, you must push in. Exiting a room, you must pull the door. Concentrating, I pushed the door into my room as fast as I could, taking a step forward as I did. My second mistake.

Though the door did not squeak as loudly, the floor did. Once more freezing in my actions, I carefully listed for signs of danger. When finally convinced that my mother was induced in some sleeping spell, I reached for my flashlight in the dark and left the room. The door was left open for fear of more squeaking. With light steps, I went into my sister's room and joined in for Sweet Home Alabama. Since this was her room, and her laptop is on her desk, there was only one chair available. My sister did own the kindness to lend me half her seat, or to let me sit in her lap (She probably would have died). So I settled for the floor. To catch the scenes playing on the laptop in the right light, you must be in the right position. Sitting on the floor was out of the question because you can't really see anything, just blue and black figures. So I had to kneel. While the movie was enjoyable, the carpet was leaving painful imprints.

At 2:05 a.m. a noticeable squeak of the door was heard. My sister and I sat/kneeled right where we were stiffly frozen, with eyes as large as they possibly could get. My sister lowered the volume until it wasn't heard and laid the laptop's screen down so that the light would vanish. The room suddenly plunged into darkness and only silence was heard. I shuffled myself to move behind Michelle's chair in a vain attempt to appear hidden. And that's how it was for a full ten minutes.

If our mother was to come into the room with the two of us perched in front of a laptop, 'What would I say?' Michelle fearfully thought. 'What would I do?' was in my terror-filled mind. And so we sat, in silence. The each of us still and silent. Michelle abrubly left her seat, and stuck her head out of her room, while I cowardly hid behind the chair. 'Is mom out there, waiting to yell at me?' But no. Nobody was out there. Michelle left the room, and came back after checking that the coast was clear. Reassurance settled in.

We watched the rest of Sweet Home Alabama, until we called it a day.

Popular posts from this blog